Support the Commissioning
Participate in Commissioning Week Events
Due to Pier Space, Fire Marshall and anticipated COVID-19 restrictions, there will be no receptions and tickets for this commissioning will be extremely limited. Official guests and Ships company family members will have ceremony tickets priority. If additional tickets become available, donors will be contacted and presented with the opportunity to attend the ceremony. The ceremony will also be webcast live over the internet by the US Navy.
There are numerous events associated with the week before a ships commissioning. All events are by invitation only, including the commissioning ceremony. Many of these events are coordinated by the Commissioning Committee, but supported by donations from various private and corporate sponsors. The Commissioning week events include:
- Commissioning Committee Reception. Cancelled due to COVID restrictions. An invitation only event for the commissioning committee and Chairman’s Circle where the committee and Chairman’s circle have an opportunity to meet the crew, sponsor and see the ship in a smaller, more personal environment.
- Sponsor’s Luncheon. An invitation only luncheon where the Ships Sponsor and her guests have lunch with the Commanding Officer and other crew members followed by a private tour of the ship.
- Chairman’s Reception. Cancelled due to COVID restrictions. The crown jewel reception of the Commissioning Week. An invitation only event, attended by Navy and Government leaders, ESB 5 crewmembers and others who have helped with the commissioning efforts with their guests. This reception provides a forum for the Captain, Commissioning Committee Chairman and crewmembers to meet the individuals and Thank them for the support the commissioning and everything they have done to help bring the future USS MIGUEL KEITH (ESB 5) to life.
- VIP Morning Breakfast. Attendance limited to principal participants in the ceremony due to COVID restrictions. An invitation only breakfast prior to the Commissioning Event. This breakfast is an opportunity to meet the principal participants in the ceremony, senior Navy, Government and Community leaders, Industry leaders, and other key supporters of the Commissioning event. Conducted immediately prior to the actual MIGUEL KEITH (ESB 5) commissioning, attendees are provided a designated parking area and transportation and from to the Commissioning event.
- Commissioning Ceremony. Limited attendance due to COVID restrictions. Ceremony will be broadcast live on the internet. The Commissioning Ceremony for the future USS MIGUEL KEITH (ESB 5) places the ship in active service with the U.S. Navy. A tradition of all navies for centuries, it has been in the United States Navy since its beginning. The commissioning is the final act that marks entrance of a man-of-war into the naval forces of her nation. This is the final and perhaps the most significant event of the triad that brings a ship to life; keel laying, launching and christening, and commissioning. When her commissioning pennant breaks to fly from the mast, USS MIGUEL KEITH (ESB 5) becomes a proud ship of the line.
- Post-Commissioning Reception. Cancelled due to COVID restrictions. Held at the site of the Commissioning immediately following the Commissioning this reception provides food and beverages for all attendees and participants. Tours of the ship are also provided.
The commissioning ceremony is an official U. S. Navy event for which there is no admission fee. Admission is, however, by invitation only for security reasons and due to limited seating. Invitation lists will be submitted by crew members, U. S. Navy organizations involved in the ship’s construction and the San Diego Council of the Navy League.
Tickets for this ceremony will be extremely limited, due to Pier Space, Fire Marshall, and COVID-19 restrictions. Ships company and official guests will receive priority for tickets. If additional tickets are available, donors will be contacted.